ECPR Standing Group Teaching and Learning Politics was formally established on 15 April 2011 and is a direct continuation of the work that had previously been done within the framework of the European Political Science Network (epsNet). You can find more on our past work here.
The Teaching and Learning Politics Standing Group is committed to the promotion of the teaching and learning in the field of political science. Our aim is to spread the scholarship of teaching and learning with and aim of fostering dialogue about the teaching of politics and improving the recognition of teaching among political science researchers.
Since there is a great variation across Europe in the provision of teacher training for political scientists, we see it as our mission to level the differences by disseminating best practice across the continent. Our primary goal is to focus on those beginning their academic careers as teachers of political science (i.e. PhD students in the latter stages of their studies or young scholars who have been recently awarded their doctorate). However, we hope to engage more senior political science teachers in meaningful discussion on improving the quality of teaching and learning in Europe.
The statutes of our group can be found here.
In order to carry out our mission, we engage in the following activities:
- organize panels at the ECPR General Conferences;
- organize European teaching and learning onferences;
- promote publications;
- organize summer schools for young teachers;
- disseminate information about teaching and learning issues.
We have more than hundred members from different European and non-European Universities. We welcome among our members anyone who shares our mission. If you wished to join us, please contact Heidi Maurer (TLP_member@eurea.sk). Membership is for free.
In accordance with our statutes, Steering Committee elections took place between March 14-21, 2014. The following candidates were elected to fill the five positions:
- Lightfoot, Simon, University of Leeds, UK
- Mauer, Heidi, Maastricht University, Netherlands
- Pleschová, Gabriela, Comenius University, Slovakia
- Rofe, J. Simon, SOAS, University of London, UK
- Simon, Eszter, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Membership information can be obtained from:
- Heidi Maurer (TLP_member@eurea.sk)
The Steering Committee can be reached at: